Culinary Instructor Robin Skirboll
The Chef Within, chefwithin.com, Northampton, MA
- 2 medium sized fennel bulbs, very thinly sliced or shaved on mandoline
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- coarse sea salt
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 4 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, shaved with peeler
- 2 oranges segmented, juice reserved for dressing
- ¼ cup best quality extra virgin olive oil (fruit infused, preferably)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and sugar to taste
In a medium sized bowl, toss the fennel slices with the lemon juice and zest. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice and champagne vinegar to make dressing. Drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Season to taste.
Add currants and pine nuts to the fennel and gently toss through with the dressing. Mix in half of the cheese shavings and spread mixture onto serving platter. Arrange orange segments and remaining cheese on top and serve immediately.
Recommended wine/beer for Shaved Fennel Salad:
Domaine Zind-Humbrecht Z002 White Table Wine