Chef Deborah Snow
Blue Heron, www.blueherondining.com, Sunderland, MA
- 1 ½ quarts chicken broth
- 1 lb good spicy pepperoni in small pieces
- ½ onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot, diced small
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans, with liquid
- 2 heads escarole, roughly chopped
- 1 cup ditilini or other small pasta
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish
Bring to the boil the pepperoni, garlic, onion and chicken broth, then reduce heat to a rolling simmer. Add carrots and continue cooking for 30-45 minutes.
When broth is fully flavored, add beans and pasta.
When beans and pasta are almost tender, add chopped escarole; mix well.
Just prior to serving, adjust seasoning and top soup with cheese and chopped parsley.