Chef Rudi Scherff
The Student Prince, www.studentprince.com, Springfield, MA
- One 12 oz can pumpkin (unseasoned) or the equivalent amount of fresh cooked and cleaned pumpkin (if using fresh, toast the seeds for garnish)
- One teaspoon sugar
- One 12 oz can chicken broth
- One tablespoon butter
- One tablespoon flour
- One small onion finely diced
- Spices to taste: Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Allspice, Ground Cloves
- Salt and white pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
- 4 oz light cream, if desired
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they are clear. Do not let them brown. Sprinkle one tablespoon of flour over the butter and mix well. Allow this mixture to cook for two minutes. Do not let it brown.
Stir in about two ounces of the chicken stock. Mix well and add the remaining stock. The stock will thicken slightly. Add the pumpkin puree, stir well. Add the salt and pepper and the various spices. Use the spices sparingly.
Let the soup heat through. If you can use the calories, add the cream. Let the soup sit over slow heat at least ten minutes. Add more spices if you like. If you wish you can use different types of spices (Mexican or Indian), and the soup will take on a different taste. The soup can be served hot or cold. As a festive start to a party, serve the soup from a whole pumpkin.