Three Kings Day Special
Romero & Mujica Family Feast, Westfield, MA
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 Tsp olives (with pimentos)
- 2 Tsp sofrito
- 1/2 Tsp recao (culantro), chopped
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Adobo
- 1 packet beef flavored bouillon
- 2 packets Sazon (a.k.a. Sazon con achiote)
- 1 15 ounce can, gandules (pigeon peas)
- 4 cups medium grain rice
- 6 cups water
- Salt to taste
In a rounded caldero (cast iron cooking pot), brown the ham in oil on medium heat. Add olives, sofrito, recao, black pepper, Adobo, ham bouillon and Sazon to the pan. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the pigeon peas and cook 5 additional minutes.
Add the rice, and mix thoroughly. Add the water, and salt to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the water has evaporated. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 12 minutes. Mix thoroughly one additional time.