Chef Deborah Snow
Blue Heron, www.blueherondining.com, Sunderland, MA
- 6 ears of ripe corn, (preferably freshly husked)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced and halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 avocados
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- Ingredients for the Marinated Avocado:
- 2 avocados, split in half, skin and pit removed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Slice off kernels neatly, cutting close to the cob with a sharp knife. Place oil and butter in a heated, heavy skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, toss in the kernels and stir them with the oil for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat slightly, and stir occasionally until kernels are lightly browned and caramelized.
To make the vinaigrette:
Place the lime juice and cumin in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking as you go. Reserve 3 Tbsp of vinaigrette. Add corn, radishes and cucumbers to the vinaigrette and toss. Salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl, lightly toss avocado halves with the other ingredients. Allow to rest for 1 hour.
To plate the salad, toss the arugula (with the reserved vinaigrette), and divide among 4 plates. Place a portion of the corn salad alongside the arugula. Thinly slice each avocado and spread, in a fan shape, over the corn salad. Crumble blue cheese on top of the salad.