Chef Cathie Albrecht
3hree Café, Springfield, MA
- 1 loaf of crusty bread (cut on the diagonal)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16-20 striped Roman tomatoes
- ¼ cup Spanish onion, minced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp basil, finely chopped (reserve portion for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Edible flowers for garnish (i.e. nasturtium)
For the Garlic Oil and Bruschetta:
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. After peeling the garlic, press down on the cloves firmly to release the juices. Add the garlic to the warmed oil and steep for 15 minutes.
In a 350 degree oven, toast the bread, flipping once ﾖ about 4 minutes per side. While the bread is still warm, lightly brush with the olive oil that has been infused with garlic. Place toasts on a platter until ready to serve.
For the Tomato Topping:
Bring a saucepan, half full of water, to a boil. Immerse tomatoes for 30 seconds. Remove and rinse with cold water before peeling. Halve the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and dice into ½ inch pieces. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, oil, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Set the bowl aside and allow the flavors to meld, about 30 minutes.
To serve, spoon a generous tablespoon of the tomato mixture onto each piece of toast. Garnish the plate with fresh basil leaves and edible flowers.